California Dog Bite Attorney
If you need representation for a dog bite, you need to contact the lawyers at LA Century Law. As the victim of a dog attack, you are entitled to financial compensation for your physical injuries as well as your pain and suffering. Our firm can assist you in getting the justice you deserve. LA Century Law is an experienced personal injury law firm that covers a variety of cases including dog bites.
If you or someone you know has been attacked by a dog, contact our attorneys right away for a free consultation!
Financial Compensation for Dog Bites
Dog bites are a serious problem. Los Angeles County reports more than 20,000 dog bites each year in the county alone. More than half of the victims are children. Nationally, approximately 585,000 dog bites require medical attention each year. State Farm Insurance reports paying $132 million each year to settle dog bite injury claims.
Lawyer for Dog Bite Accidents in California
Our team of experienced attorneys can help you recover damages for a number of items, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages from missed work
- Reimbursement for damages to property (this includes your dog if they are also injured in the attack)
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of use, scarring, and permanent disfigurement
- Punitive damages (in cases of extreme recklessness or malice)
Dog attacks can lead to very serious injuries with a variety of issues stemming from them. Under California Law, you are protected and have the right to seek monetary compensation for the injuries you sustain. You should be able to pursue damages through a homeowner’s insurance policy; however, you need a proven legal team to help you navigate your way through the process. Call our lawyers today so that we can assist you and help you obtain maximum recovery for your loss.
Dog Bite Accident Compensation
Can I claim compensation for a dog bite?
Yes, you can claim compensation for a dog bite. Injuries from dog attacks, including bites, are personal injuries. If you meet the legal standards, you may claim damages.
Who pays compensation for a dog bite?
In many cases, homeowners insurance for the dog owner pays compensation. Many victims hesitate to pursue a dog bite case because a friend or family member is involved. Even though the family member has legal liability, it may be the personal liability clause of their homeowner’s insurance policy that pays damages.
California Dog Bite Laws
What is the California law for dog bites?
California Civil Code § 3342 is the law for dog bites. The owner is liable for damages suffered by a bite when the victim is lawfully in a public or private place. Strict liability applies even if the dog does not have a history of viciousness.
There are a few important things that you should know about dog bites in California:
- California is not a “one bite” state. The dog does not have to have a previous history for the owner to be liable
- A person may have implied permission to be on someone’s property. Postal workers and delivery drivers have implied consent to enter the property
- Comparative negligence applies. Provoking the dog is comparative negligence
- Trespassing is a defense
- Economic and non-economic damages may be compensated
Does there have to be a prior determination that the dog is vicious in California?
No, California law does not require a prior determination that the dog is dangerous or at risk. An owner has civil liability for the injuries that their dog causes from the very first bite.
Defenses to California dog bite claims
There are a few very common defenses that individuals will try to use in a dog bite claim. They are listed below:
- The dog is a police or military dog carrying out their job function
- Trespassing by the victim
- Assumption of the risk – also known as the veterinarian’s rule, assumption of the risk applies to veterinarians, kennel operators, and others who voluntarily work with dogs (See Nelson v. Hall, 165 Cal App 3d 709 (1985). Although strict liability does not apply, the victim may base their claim on negligence
- Comparative negligence – the victim did something to contribute to the attack and their injuries
Is California a one-bite state?
No, California is not a one-bite state for dogs. An owner is legally liable for the injuries their dog causes, even if the dog has no prior history of aggression.
California Dog Bite Lawsuit FAQs
How long after a dog bite can you sue in California?
What is my dog bite case worth?
California law allows you to claim compensation for your economic losses, pain and suffering, disfigurement, mental anguish, property damage, and more.
Several factors impact the value of a dog bite claim. Your case may be more or less than average. We invite you to talk with our team of lawyers to see what your claim might be worth.
Does California have strict liability for dog bites?
California does have strict liability for cases that involve dog bites. That means that the owner doesn’t have to act negligently for them to owe compensation to the victim.
What are some examples of comparative negligence for dog bites?
Examples of comparative negligence that may be raised for a dog bite are:
Comparative negligence is something that may impact the value of your claim. Please call our attorneys to see how this may factor into your case and how to go about it.
Does California have strict liability for other types of dog injuries?
Strict liability for dog bites does not extend to other types of dog injuries. For example, if an injury is caused by falling, pushing, or scratching, the victim must prove the dog owner’s negligence to receive compensation.
Dog Bite Lawyers Taking New Cases
The LA Century Law team is taking new dog attack cases. We know these types of claims are very serious and need to be given the appropriate consideration and effort. If you require more than minor treatment, you need competent representation. We are here to ensure that you get the treatment you need and the financial compensation you deserve.
About LA Century Law
- We are a boutique civil litigation firm that is dedicated to representing victims with a myriad of personal legal issues, including those who have been attacked by a dog.
- We have recovered millions for our clients through settlements and verdicts.
- We have received recognition from peers and legal experts, including Super Lawyers (Rising Stars), American Academy of Attorneys (Top 40 Under 40), International Advisory Experts Award (Personal Injury) and others.
- We will evaluate your case for free. Our comprehensive consultation is at no cost to you!
- We have a zero-fee guarantee. You don’t pay for our services unless we win!
Let us review your case today and see how we can assist you!
Free Consultation – Taking New Cases
The LA Century Law firm is a voice for the hurt and disadvantaged. If you’ve been hurt by a dog bite, our lawyers know how to help you claim monetary compensation and maximize your amount. Call or send us a message today to talk about your case.