Century City Bicycle Accident Attorney
People enjoy California because of its beautiful weather and scenic landscape. This leads most of us to enjoy the outdoors and cycle in the streets. Unfortunately, there are plenty of reckless and careless drivers on the road. In a 2020 report, 10 people lost their lives and 1,369 were injured in a bicycle accident in Los Angeles. Therefore, it is imperative to have the right representation to protect you when you have been injured in a bicycle accident.
LA Century Law is a premier civil litigation firm that specializes in bicycle and cycling accidents in Los Angeles, Century City, and throughout California. We assist individuals injured and harmed obtain compensation for their injuries.
Can I get compensation for a bicycle accident?
Individuals injured on a bicycle or otherwise injured while cycling can obtain compensation for their injuries, including their pain and suffering. It is our goal to make sure injured individuals can focus on their recovery while we work endlessly to obtain the compensation those harmed rightfully deserve. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you should not have to bear the financial and emotional loss that comes with such a traumatic incident alone.
In California, when you or someone you love is involved in a bicycle accident, you are making a claim under the legal theory of “negligence”. This means that the person or driver that caused or contributed to the bicycle accident did not exercise reasonable care in operating their vehicle.
Examples of fault in bicycle accidents:
- Not leaving following distance or room for the bicycle
- Turning in front of a bicyclist
- Driving into a crosswalk
- Vehicle or bicycle manufacturing defects
- Failing to keep a vehicle or bicycle in good working condition
- Driving on the shoulder
- Not accounting for poor lighting or weather conditions
- Distracted driving, texting while driving
- Running a red light, failure to yield
- DUI, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poor road maintenance or design
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list. Call our office now for a free consultation.
Because of the large size of a vehicle involved compared to a bicyclist, even an accident at low speed may produce serious injuries. If the driver is at fault, the victim may claim for the full extent of their damages.
Who may be liable for a bicycle accident claim?
The driver isn’t the only party who may be liable for a bicycle accident claim. There are many parties who may have legal fault. At LA Century Law, we leave no stone unturned. We investigate the incident thoroughly to determine all parties that have (or potentially have) caused or contributed to a bicycle accident. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Employer of the driver
- Vehicle manufacturer or bicycle manufacturer
- Government body for road design or maintenance
- Party in control of private property including a parking lot
- Establishment who overserves a minor with alcohol
To receive compensation, the victim must name the responsible party in their claim. As part of our representation, we thoroughly investigate. Then, we use our experience to analyze and determine who is responsible for paying damages for the bicycle accident.
What if I am partially responsible for the bicycle accident?
It may be possible that the victim also shares some legal liability for the accident. In California, a bicycle accident victim may receive compensation even if they played a role in the accident. The trier of fact assigns fault by percentages among those involved. This is called comparative fault. Fault is distributed between the parties. Meaning that even if you are 99% at fault, you still may be entitled to compensation.
For a bicycle accident victim, claiming compensation even if they are partially responsible is often a good option. Their injuries are likely to be serious –a motor vehicle operator doesn’t have the protection of a large motor vehicle at the time of the accident. If comparative negligence applies, our legal team ensures that you understand how it impacts your compensation. We aggressively assert your legal rights and fight for the full amount that you deserve.
Common injuries from a bicycle accident
Injuries you may claim in compensation for a bicycle accident commonly include:
- Broken bones
- Joint damage like ligament and tendon damage
- Traumatic brain injury, concussion, brain damage
- Chronic headaches and back pain
- Road rash from being thrown off your vehicle
- Internal bleeding, bruising and lacerations
- Spinal cord injuries, paralysis
- Secondary complications and infection
- Mental health injuries and the cost of treatment
Injuries are compensated for in multiple ways in a bicycle accident claim. You deserve not only the cost of medical care, but also other ways that you are impacted. For example, if your injuries prevent you from working, you deserve compensation for your inability to work. All injuries are physically painful, at least to some degree, and that is deserving of recognition, too. You are also entitled to “life impact” damages or pain and suffering.
What damages can I receive for a bicycle accident?
The damages that you can receive for a bicycle accident may be both economic and non-economic. You may claim for direct costs you have because of your injuries, non-economic damages and property damage.
For simplicity, economic damages are quantifiable damages like loss of earnings, medical bills, property damage, etc. On the other hand, non-economic damages are not quantifiable and are different on a case by case basis. These are damages associated with an individual’s pain and suffering from the bicycle accident. You may also claim for wrongful death if a loved one loses their life.
An important part of our representation is identifying, proving and claiming your damages. We invite you to meet with us for a consultation to learn more.
How can a lawyer help with a bicycle accident claim?
At LA Century Law, we act in your best interests to claim the monetary relief that you deserve for a bicycle accident. There are many things that we do for you both inside and outside the courtroom. Ways we help with a bicycle accident claim are:
- Preserving evidence immediately, while you focus on your recovery
- Initiating your claim with the insurance company, completing the forms accurately – you need to know what damages you can claim before you submit documentation to the insurance company
- Valuing damages including categories that a victim may not be aware of – going further in a bicycle accident claim because injuries may be serious
- Ensuring that future damages and pain and suffering are fairly represented
- Evaluating the response from the insurance company and determining how to proceed
- Filing your formal legal claim. Complying with the statute of limitations and knowing where and how to start your case
- Taking advantage of legal procedure to build and advance your rights
- Resolution efforts including settlement negotiation
- Trial advocacy and representation in court
- Explaining the legal process and preparing for each step
Each person we represent is unique. Your case is unique, too. We customize our representation to the legal issues that are present in your case. Along the way, we explain each step and give you honest advice about decisions like accepting a settlement offer or going to trial.
Will my case go to trial?
When we meet with bicycle accident victims for the first time, they’re often worried about trial. Even though we’re always ready to fight for you as long as it takes, most cases don’t end up going to trial. It’s our goal to resolve your case in the best possible way. If you’re nervous about a trial, let us put your mind at ease and build a strong claim that puts you in a position to reach a fair settlement before even having to file a lawsuit.
Bicycle Accident Lawyers Near Century City – Taking New Cases
You can count on your bicycle accident lawyers to take extra time to get to know our clients. Our clients are an extension of our law firm family. You need and deserve a unique approach that’s customized to meet your legal needs. LA Century Law firm has a 99% success rate. Plus, with our no-fee guarantee, you can rest assured that there’s no fee for our services unless you win your case.
We are currently taking new cases in Century City. By fighting aggressively for bicycle accident victims, we have earned the trust of our clients and the respect of the legal community. Recognition from organizations like Super Lawyers, Los Angeles Magazine and the International Advisory Experts Award for Personal Injury are just a reflection of our commitment to your success.
Contact us to learn more and schedule your consultation. LA Century Law works aggressively for a fair recovery for your injuries, damages and harms. That’s the LA Century Law firm commitment. Call or send us a message today.