Tarzana Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident because of someone else’s negligence or more serious behavior, LA Century Law can help you claim financial compensation.
We are Tarzana bicycle accident lawyers. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycling accident, you’ve come to the right place. Call or send a message to LA Century Law today to schedule your consultation.
Do I Have a Bicycle Accident Claim in Tarzana?
In Tarzana and throughout Southern California, bicycle accidents claims are usually based on negligence. To know if you have a claim, look at all the causes of the accident. Any party who causes the accident through a lack of reasonable care and caution may be liable to pay damages.
Bicyclists who have been injured may bring a claim for financial losses and pain and suffering. In addition to negligence, recklessness and intentional harm with a motor vehicle may also be valid grounds for a claim. There may be one or multiple parties responsible to pay damages.
Examples of bicycle accident claims in Tarzana
Some examples of circumstances where a victim may have a valid bicycle accident claim are:
- A speeding driver fails to stop before colliding with a bicyclist
- The driver enters a crosswalk, striking a bicyclist
- It’s dusk, and the driver doesn’t look for others on the road
- A texting driver causes an accident (fatigue and DUI may also be causes of collisions)
- While a bicyclist is crossing an intersection, a vehicle operator makes a wrongful turn
- Road rage results in an intentional crash
- Animals run into the roadway, causing a crash because parties take evasive action
- When a roadway is in poor repair, a bicyclist loses control and crashes into a motor vehicle
- Equipment failures in a motor vehicle or the bicycle cause a collision
- There is a stop sign, but the driver does a “rolling stop.” A crash results
- Drivers are traveling on the shoulder, or they are not giving a bicyclist use of a bike lane
These are just some examples of when a party may be legally liable for a bicycle accident. Driving is dangerous. Motor vehicle operators must account for the fact that bicyclists have a right to be on the roads. They must watch out for bicyclists, leave them space and react to changing circumstances.
To determine whether the victim has a claim, our lawyers evaluate whose conduct led to the accident. If a party’s behavior was negligent or more serious, they may owe the victim monetary compensation.
What Is a Bicycle Accident Claim?
A bicycle accident claim is a formal claim for compensation because of injuries from a bicycle accident. It is a civil legal matter. The defendant is not charged with a crime; rather the victim seeks monetary compensation from the person or party who caused the accident.
If you want compensation for your injuries, suffering and other losses, a bicycle accident claim is the process to get it. It may seem daunting or intimidating to bring a claim. However, our lawyers can represent you and work on your behalf through all the steps. Most claims are settled through insurance policies and settlement negotiations. However, we are experienced trial lawyers, and prepared to fight for you as long as it takes until you have justice.
Elements of a Bicycle Accident Claim
The elements of a bicycle accident claim are the things that you must prove to have a valid claim. To receive compensation, the victim must prove:
- The party or parties named as defendants have legal fault, based on negligence, recklessness or intentional misconduct. To prove legal fault, you must show what the defendant’s conduct was and how it was negligence or more serious misconduct.
- An accident occurred. The accident was the result of the defendant’s behavior.
- You suffered physical injuries. The injuries are the result of the accident.
- Damages resulted to the victim. There are many types of damages, and California law allows you to claim pain and suffering compensation as well as economic losses.
The victim must prove each element to receive monetary compensation. Gathering evidence and making legal arguments are very important parts of our representation as Tarzana bicycle accident lawyers.
How Do You Value Damages for a Bicycle Accident Claim?
To value damages for a bicycle accident claim, examine each category of available damages. If it applies, determine the value. An experienced lawyer can help you value intangible losses (non-economic damages). Examine your case for a wide variety of losses, including:
- Emergency medical care, ambulance transportation
- Doctor and nursing costs
- Follow-up visits
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Prescription costs, mobility assistance devices, over-the-counter medical care
- Changes in lifestyle, like no longer being able to ride your bike
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Costs of mental health care
- Property damage including your bike
- Humiliation and loss of reputation
- Lost income and career path
You may already know that a bicycle crash impacts you in many ways. However, it can be easy to underestimate your losses until you think about all the different kinds of damages that may exist.
California law does not limit the amount of damages, economically or non-economically. Most claims are settled through insurance policies, and our lawyers can help you find insurance policies that may cover a claim. In addition, we can explore options if insurance is inadequate to compensate you for your losses.
Can a cyclist be at fault?
It is possible for a cyclist to be at fault for an accident. The rules of the road apply to cyclists. However, even if a bicyclist is at fault for an accident, they may still receive a significant amount for their legal claim. Using California’s pure comparative negligence standard, a victim may recover compensation for their damages even if they share significant blame for what happened.
Evaluating shared fault can be complex. Certainly, don’t accept the defense’s word for it that you are at fault. Contact our lawyers to evaluate your situation and whether comparative fault may matter in your case.
How do pre-existing injuries factor into a bicycle accident claim?
Even if you had pre-existing conditions, you may still receive compensation if they’re made worse because of your accident. Gathering your medical records and even expert testimony may be very important. You must refute that they are simply pre-existing conditions and show how they are worse because of the injury you sustained.
Taking New Cases in Tarzana
LA Century Law is a premier personal injury law firm dedicated to legal issues that impact individuals and families. We are experienced lawyers handling bicycle accident claims and a wide range of civil legal issues. It’s our goal to personalize our service so that you can recover maximum compensation.
When you choose LA Century Law, you can expect:
- Customized representation – We have recovered millions in both negotiated settlements and trial verdicts
- The no-fee guarantee – Rest assured you don’t pay a penny unless you receive compensation. With a 99% success rate, you can expect results
- Understanding of the unique issues present in bicycle accident claims
- Experience in bench and jury trials. – We’ll fight for you as long as it takes
- Commitment to helping you recover for your injuries, damages and harms. Our clients are an extension of our law firm, which we see as family
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, there are time limits to bringing a claim. Contact us for a consultation. Learn more about your rights and how we can help you get justice after a bicycle accident. Contact our law firm today to connect with our team.