San Bernardino Bicycle Accident Attorney
The San Bernardino bicycle accident lawyers at LA Century Law represent victims of bicycle accidents. According to the California Department of Public Health, more than 13,000 people are injured each year in bicycle accidents. Accidents occur at high rates in both rural and urban areas.
Too many victims suffer without the financial compensation that can help them after an accident. The legal system is here to help people like you. When someone else hurts you by driving carelessly, they should pay you for your damages. LA Century Law San Bernardino bicycle accident lawyers represent victims.
Have you been hurt in a bicycle accident? Contact our San Bernardino bicycle accident lawyers for a consultation about your claim.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- A driver failing to stop behind the crosswalk
- Distracted driving, not watching for cyclists
- Weaving from the lane onto the shoulder
- Vehicle malfunction or bicycle brakes/equipment issues
- Speeding, driving too fast for conditions including darkness and inclement weather
- Turning in an intersection without the right of way
- Failing to leave sufficient following distance and width for a bicyclist
- Roadway in poor repair
- Animals running into the roadway
- Pile-up accidents
- Aggressive driving
- Drunk and drugged driving
What is a bicycle accident lawyer?
A bicycle accident lawyer is a trained and licensed person who represents you after a bicycle accident. Our goal and mission as your attorney is to obtain the maximum possible compensation for your harms while you focus on healing from your injuries. We do all the heavy lifting and advocate zealously on your behalf.
Working with a bicycle accident lawyer gives you a professional who is qualified to assist you through the legal process to get the financial relief that you need.
Should I Get a Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
Bicycle accidents often produce serious injuries. A monetary payment can help with medical bills and personal expenses. It can also represent the pain and suffering you endure and the changes in your life from the accident.
Getting the financial relief you need is a complex process. With a bicycle accident lawyer, you have the peace of mind to know that you’re handling your claim correctly and taking the right steps to achieve your goals.
Are you wondering how a bicycle accident lawyer can help you? We invite you to meet with the bicycle accident lawyers at LA Century Law for a personalized evaluation of your case.
What do California laws say about bicycle laws and accidents in San Bernardino?
California laws govern bicycling in San Bernardino:
- Bicyclists have the same rights as motor vehicles on the roads (CVC 21200).
- A bicycle must have working brakes (CVC 21201(a)).
- It is unlawful for a motor vehicle operator to stop or park on a designated bicycle path (CVC 21211).
- When a motor vehicle driver violates a traffic law, it is negligence per se under California law. A bicyclist injured because of a traffic violation does not have to prove negligence. They must prove that the driver violated the traffic law.
- A bicyclist has two years to bring a claim for personal injury when they are hurt in a bicycle accident.
- The party responsible for the accident must pay damages. Non-economic damages are available.
- Wrongful death damages may be awarded for fatal crashes.
- A bicycle claim is a civil claim for financial compensation. A victim may bring their civil claim regardless of whether a ticket or criminal charges are authorized.
- A bicycle accident victim may have representation from a bicycle accident lawyer.
California bicycle accident laws protect the rights of victims.
When is a driver liable for injuries to a bicyclist?
Driver liability for a bicyclist is based on negligence. The legal requirement for drivers is to use reasonable care and caution. When a driver fails to drive in a reasonable manner, they are negligent.
Recklessness and intentional actions also make a driver liable for injuries to a bicyclist. Drunk driving is an example of recklessness. Most liability for bicyclist injuries comes from violating a traffic law. However, someone may be legally liable to pay damages even if they did not violate a specific traffic law. Parties other than a driver may have legal liability, too.
What is my bicycle accident claim worth?
In San Bernardino and throughout California, there is no limit to the amount of damages that a victim may receive for a bicycle accident. Damages may be economic – reflecting actual financial losses, and non-economic – recognizing pain and suffering and other intangible losses. A victim may claim the true value of their damages, including:
- Medical bills, both short-term and long term
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Expenses relating to medical care like travel expenses, prescriptions and over-the-counter costs
- Disability and disfigurement, humiliation and loss of reputation
- Lost income if injuries prevent you from working
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering, emotional anguish
- Mental health damages and treatment
- Wrongful death compensation
- Punitive damages (if the case qualifies)
When a bicyclist is struck by a large vehicle, damages are often severe. Our lawyers make sure that your damages are valued fairly and claimed.
Factors that may impact the amount of compensation include:
- Legal fault, and whether comparative negligence is a question. The victim may still recover compensation even if they are partially at fault for an accident.
- The cause of the accident. Depending on the cause of the accident, there may be additional parties besides the driver who are responsible. An employer, government body, vehicle manufacturer or even an establishment that overserves alcohol to a minor may also share legal liability for damages.
- Causation between the accident and injuries. The victim may be compensated for damages that are the result of the accident. If pre-existing conditions are in question, the victim must gather medical testimony that their injuries are the result of the accident.
- Insurance to pay damages. Most bicycle accident claims are resolved through insurance coverage. The availability of insurance to pay damages may impact the amount of compensation.
Lawyers for Bicycle Accidents Near San Bernardino
At LA Century Law, we are lawyers who represent clients in a range of individual matters including bicycle accidents. Our law firm highlights include:
- Experience in a wide variety of accident claims including catastrophic injury claims. We understand the complex issues present in bicycle accident claims where damages may be high.
- Dedication of our practice to helping individuals and their families. Focusing our practice on representing individuals gives us experience that can work to your benefit.
- A 99% success rate. We’re proud of our history of success helping individuals and families.
- No fee unless you receive compensation for your case. You shouldn’t have to worry about affording a lawyer. Come meet with us to see how our no-fee guarantee help you.
- Recognized leaders in accident representation. We’ve been honored by Lawyers of Distinction, the American Academy of Attorneys (Top 40 Under 40) and Super Lawyers, among others.
- We measure success by the results we get for you. Our clients are an extension of our law firm family.
LA Century Law represents clients in San Bernardino with locations throughout Southern California.
Taking New Cases – Consultations
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, contact our lawyers for a consultation regarding your case. We’re here to protect your legal rights. Call or message us today.