San Bernardino Premises Liability Attorney
If you suffered an injury on someone else’s property in San Bernardino, you may have the right to recover any damages directly resulting from the accident. The legal concept of premises liability holds property owners accountable for accidents caused by their negligence. At LA Century Law, our San Bernardino premises liability attorneys can help you understand how this law applies to your case and whether you can access compensation for your losses.
Examples of Common Premises Liability Cases
A slip and fall case is the most common type of accident associated with premises liability. However, several circumstances could lead to a premises liability claim:
- A loved one drowning in a swimming pool on a property with no fence
- A chemical burn caused by an accessible and unlabeled toxic substance
- An attack by an unrestrained dog, also known as a dog bite case
- A fall through rotting floors or stairs
- Electrocution caused by exposed wiring in a residential or commercial property
Our premises liability lawyers know where to look for proof of negligence or malicious intention and can access resources to help validate your claim.
Proving a Premises Liability Claim in California
As the plaintiff, you and your attorneys are responsible for proving the other party’s liability. This means you must provide sufficient evidence to support the components of a negligence claim under this concept.
First, you should show that the defendant owned, occupied, leased, or controlled the property where the accident occurred. Then, you must prove that they breached the duty of care owed to you as a lawful visitor by neglecting the maintenance or use of the property, causing a hazard that resulted in your accident. Finally, you must prove you suffered injuries and sustained damages from the accident. What you do in the immediate aftermath and days that follow the accident can help you build a case.
The Role of Our San Bernardino Premises Liability Attorneys
We handle every premises liability claim on a case-by-case basis, evaluating the details of your accident to help you build a solid claim for negligence and damages. Our legal team will perform a number of general duties:
- Investigating the accident for evidence to prove the property owner’s actions directly contributed to the incident and your injuries
- Identifying all your recoverable losses and valuing those with no definitive monetary value
- Drafting a demand package detailing your claim and including all relevant documentation
- Preparing and filing all the paperwork necessary for a lawsuit
- Protecting you from rights violations and combative insurance providers
With the help of an experienced premises liability lawyer, your chances of recovering a fast and fair settlement are higher.
What To Do if Injured on Someone’s Property
When you are injured, if able, you can begin collecting evidence at the scene to provide to our attorneys. Take photographs of the area and any visible injuries. Report the accident to the property owner or manager immediately. In a public place like a supermarket or restaurant, the manager or supervisor on duty should create an accident report, and you can request a copy.
See a doctor as soon as possible, even if your injuries are minor. Without medical records connecting your injuries to the accident, the insurance company may claim that you sustained them somewhere else before or after the accident. Additionally, you may have internal injuries with latent symptoms that can cause significant harm without immediate care.
Contact our legal team as soon as possible. The more time that passes between the accident and your claim, the more difficult it can be to collect the evidence you need. Our team will start building your case immediately to access fast compensation for your suffering.
Statute of Limitations for a Premises Liability Claim
A statute of limitations refers to the deadline for filing a lawsuit. California premises liability laws allow two years from the date of your accident to file against the at-fault party. However, most insurance companies have other applicable deadlines. To ensure you can access all recoverable damages, fast action is necessary.
Damages You Can Recover From a Premises Liability Case
The recoverable damages from a premises liability claim can vary depending on several factors. However, some are common across most cases:
- The cost of necessary medical expenses for current and future care
- The loss of income from missed work or loss of earning capacity
- The cost of replacement services needed during recovery, such as in-home care or transportation to doctor visits
- The physical pain and suffering caused by your injuries and treatment
- The emotional distress, mental anguish, anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress related to the accident
Our legal team will help you understand the damages available in your case and explain the value of your non-economic losses.
Contact Our San Bernardino Premises Liability Attorneys Today
If you suffered an injury in an accident on someone else’s property, you may have the opportunity to recover your losses through a civil claim. At LA Century Law, our legal team will walk you through the process and ensure your claim accurately reflects your losses. Contact our office by phone or online to speak directly with a San Bernardino premises liability attorney and schedule your free consultation today.